Friday, September 30, 2011

I Met the Coolest Old Dude Today, So I'm Dedicating This Post Entirely to Him.

I was at Java Jacks today actually trying to be productive.  Now, I am actually going to do my best not to swear in this post.  Don't ask me why, because it just seems like it would be disrespectful to the Awesome Old Dude.  His name is Mr. Burns, and he's a lawyer (and he was a drill Sergeant in the Air Force and he was in the Naval Reserves, so instant respect from me right there).  So, I was sitting there, drinking my awesome crackhead coffee (that is another post) when somehow I ended up having a conversation with this nice old gentleman.  Guys, this is the most AWESOME guy ever.  He has some great stories...He has lived an amazing life and met and worked for and with some insanely famous and infamous people.  And he has the pictures and proof to back it up!  I wanted to actually interview him, take his picture and put it here, but he declined, saying that he's 82 years old and just wishes to have a quiet life with his coffee and his mystery books and his law practice (wills, probate, etc.  Nothing wild and exciting and court related anymore).  But I have to say that I was actually proud to say that I had met this gentleman.  He knew Charlie Wilson (Yes, THAT Charlie Wilson), personally, was an assistant to a president (I want to say it was President Johnson, but I could be wrong.  He knew SO MANY POLITICIANS!), grew up pretty much next door to Reagan (Yes, again, THAT Reagan) in Illinois, and if there is a philanthropy plaque somewhere, Mr. Burns' name is probably on it.  He doesn't have a Wikipedia page (I checked. I was a bit sad about it), but guys, I spent a few hours talking to this man and I have to say that at the end of it all, I was amazed.  He reminded of my Grandpa (The awesome one. My dad's dad.).  So, I didn't get any of the work done that I had gone to Java Jacks to do in the first place, but you know what?  I don't care.  I had half of a drawing done on my laptop on the next table over, while I was comfortably curled up in a chair with my crackhead coffee chatting away with Mr. Burns, listening to his poetry that he had written for his late wife over the course of their 60 year marriage, laughing with him at his awesome stories, and making a new friend.  So, no, there is no funny drawing to accompany this post, or weird story about me being insane or my Speshul dog (though I have a great post coming later about that. It may be posted tonight, but not in this particular post).  No, this post is dedicated entirely to Mr. Ken Burns, the most Awesome Old Dude I've ever met, and I hope that he's there the next time I go to Java Jacks to drink insane crackhead coffee.
Mr. Burns, thanks for making my day really freakin' awesome.  You totally rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment